Sunday, June 14, 2009

Strawberry picking



Yesterday Amelia and I and friends of ours all went strawberry picking at a local farm. It was a beautiful day, and the girls loved picking the strawberries. I wanted to get enough to make some freezer jam and have enough to make strawberry shortcake. I should first tell you that I haven't gone strawberry picking as an adult, so my mom has always been the person to tell us how many strawberries we can use. Last year we picked raspberries and it took a huge amount of raspberries to make five jars of freezer jam so I assumed it would be the same with strawberries. I was so wrong. We picked WAY too many strawberries. We filled two of the containers in the photo above. I feel like I have done nothing but mash up strawberries all weekend. So far I have made 11 jars of freezer jam, 1 strawberry pie, eaten several bowls of strawberries on my own and encouraged everyone else in the family to eat as many as they could, given large bowls of strawberries away to neighbors and family, and we stil have a huge amount that I need to figure out what to do with. I think tomorrow I will put the rest in freezer bags for strawberry shortcake later in the summer. We sure did have fun though! And to show you that I haven't learned my lesson yet, I am already planning to go blueberry picking next month!

1 comment:

Tricia said...

Yum!!!! I could really eat some strawberry shortcake right now. Where are you guys again? Ha. Blueberries are great frozen. Just throw them in your bowl of cereal still frozen.