Last night Brian and I took Amelia to see Up. We had all been looking forward to it based on all of the ads that have been on the D*sne*y Channel for the past several weeks. It looked adorable. If you haven't seen it, don't read this post. I don't want to spoil anything for you. I guess overall the movie was good, but not at all the cute, funny and uplifting movie that we had expected it to be. Firstly, for those of you who have seen it, you can imagine that it wasn't the best movie for people who have just lost their parents/parents-in-law and have spent several weeks going through old photographs of them and thinking about their lives. I know it was just a cartoon, but that part was really hard for Brian and I.
The worst part of going to this movie was that Amelia was completely beside herself for the entire movie. Most of the scenes were scary to her, and parts were so intense for her that she was sobbing on my shoulder and saying (loudly) that she just wanted to go home. The people around us must have thought that we were the meanest parents because we didn't take her out of the theater when she was freaking out, but honestly I wanted her to stay to see that everything ended OK. If we had left during the worst part for her (when the explorer captures Kevin) she would have asked us for weeks what happened, and we wouldn't know. I was hoping that she would feel better about the movie if she saw a happy ending, but even the happy ending didn't help. She was pretty upset until she fell asleep when we got home. It isn't the first time that she has reacted like this during a movie. She was very upset at R*atat*uille and Happy F**t as well, but I think this movie bothered her the most. I don't know why she has such strong reactions to movies that we see in theaters, maybe the darkness and the large screen and the loud sounds make everything more intense. At any rate, I think it will be quite a while before we try to see another one.
It wasn't all bad, and I think I would have enjoyed the movie if Amelia hadn't been so upset. I thought that the dog was adorable. It just wasn't the cute movie I had hoped it would be.
Sunday, June 7, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comment:
We felt the same way. It was tearful the first 20 minutes. My kids enjoyed it and didn't get scared, but the adults were crying. I can definitely see how you guys should have not seen it. If you would have posted that you were thinking about going. I would have probably told you not to. I'm sorry you weren't worned about the sadness.
Post a Comment