It looks like China has sent 6 days of referrals this month. Last month it was a measly two days. The positive thing for us about this month's referral batch is that our friends are expecting their referral this month (last month they missed it by a day in what must have been the smallest batch of referrals in the history of Chinese adoption). So what does this mean for us? It isn't easy to predict. The only predictable part of international adoption, or adoption in general I guess, is that it will be unpredictable. Still, I am finding it difficult to imagine what our wait will end up being. Even if China starts to send two weeks worth of referrals each month (and they haven't sent that many in a while), our wait could easily approach three years. Amelia has been home with us for a little over three years, and that seems like a lifetime ago. I am really having trouble wrapping my mind around a wait that long. When we started the paperwork for this adoption, I really wanted to time it so that we wouldn't have two in daycare at the same time. This seems ridiculous to me now because Amelia may be in school for a year or two before we ever see her sister. A few months ago I bought some medicine to take to China with us on this trip since it was something that I had trouble finding the last time we were packing. The expiration date is in early 2010, and I figured that it made sense to buy it when I saw it since we would surely be happily settled in at home with Elena long before 2010. Now it might actually expire before we go.
We want another child, Amelia desperately wants a sister, and we want them to share a cultural heritage. Our only choice at this point is to wait and keep our fingers crossed that everything speeds up for all of us who are waiting.
Tuesday, May 1, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment