Wednesday, March 28, 2007

Xiao Dan Long (little lanterns)


I am finally working on Amelia's One Hundred Good Wishes Quilt. While we were waiting for her, I exchanged fabric squares and "good wishes" - sometimes called "squishes"- from other families who were also waiting to adopt a child from China. Supposedly this is a tradition in northern areas of China where pieces of fabric are collected from 100 different families in the community in order to make a quilt for a new child. The adoption community has taken this tradition and turned it into a fun way to pass the time while we wait for our own children. One of my goals before we travel to adopt Elena is to finish Amelia's quilt. I am also collecting squares for Elena, and it would be great if I could get started on her quilt before we bring her home as well. After all, it has only been FOUR years since I collected the fabric for Amelia. It feels really good to finally get started on it.

I posted a photo of the first finished block. I am turning all the fabric swatches into lanterns. Amelia and I often sing a song from her Ni Hao Little Friends DVD called Xiao Dan Long or little lanterns. It is a song that teaches children how to count to 10 in Mandarin, and it is one of the songs that we sing wherever we go, so I like the theme of little lanterns in her quilt.

One block down, 99 more to go!

1 comment:

NCFriend said...

Hello! My name is cam and I found your blog through your mention of letterboxing. (trailname: 3Ms) but I was also quite taken by the rest of your blog. I also quilt and would love to send you a "squ-ish" from me for Elena and one for Amelia as well.
Let me know if I can and where you'd like me send them!
Good luck and God Bless Your Family,
cam of 3Ms.