Sunday, October 25, 2009

The Big Apple






I love New York City. When I was growing up, my dad lived close enough to the city for me to visit quite often. I love the energy, the diversity, and the fast pace. I could spend days in the museums. Brian is not so crazy about New York (although I think it is growing on him). To him, it is mostly crowds and noise. He is more of a nature guy and would rather be in the woods than anywhere else. Don't get me wrong, I love to be out in the woods and listen to the wind in the trees too, but there is just something about New York... Last weekend the three of us took Amelia to the city for the first time. I couldn't wait to see what she would think of it. We went to the American Girl Place store where her doll Francesca got her hair done, we went to the world's largest Build a Bear, and we went to the Museum of Natural History. We weren't sure we were going to make it to the museum. Ever since Amelia saw the movie "Night at the Muse@m", she has been terrified that if we went, the dinosaurs would come to life. She insisted that she didn't want to go, but in the afternoon she asked us if we could go to the museum. Well, we jumped on the subway and got there with only about an hour and a half left to spare. We only had time to see the dinosaurs and the Easter Island Head (which, thanks to the movie, Amelia kept calling Dum Dum), but she LOVED the museum. In fact, she loved everything about New York. She can't wait to go back. That's my girl! Since New York is still an easy day trip from where we live, I told her that we can start planning to visit a couple of times a year. There is so much more to see, and I am so happy that I now have someone to share it all with without worrying that they really aren't having fun! Next trip, we will go to Chinatown!

I also have to admit, Brian was a trooper on this trip. He rode the subway for the first time and actually admitted it wasn't a bad way to get around. He stood in line for a very long time so he could watch Amelia's doll get her hair done. He insisted on carrying all of our bags, and he even carried Francesca (the doll) all the way up Fifth Avenue in her little carrying bag. Brian is an AWESOME dad for girls.

No comments: