Friday, July 31, 2009

Brian's shoulder surgery

Brian had his surgery today, and everything went really well. His surgeon repaired his shoulder, so now instead of a 100% chance that it will dislocate again, he now has a 95% chance that it won't. It will be wonderful to not have to worry about it dislocating all the time. I think that Brian is really happy to have this behind him. Truly, he probably should have done this years ago, but it seems like this past year has been especially hard to wait since he had so much healing to do after the last dislocation. He has always worried so much about it dislocating, especially during the winter when the sidewalks and parking lots are icy. It will be good to not always have that fear in the back of his mind. He says he already feels better (although I keep warning him that the pain meds have not worn off yet). He still has a long road of PT ahead of him, but this feels a lot like we have finally reached a milestone. The big challenge during this week while he is home recuperating is to make sure he actually rests and doesn't try to build, repair, or paint something. I actually took the whole week off so I can stay home with him and watch him like a hawk, um, I mean "encourage him to rest".

1 comment:

Tricia said...

I'm glad the surgery was such a success. Take it easy Brian. You don't get a lot of chances to be waited on in your life. Take advantage of it.