Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Now it is 2009....

So the latest news I guess is that there really is no news for now as far as our adoption goes. We are still waiting for Brian's surgery to be scheduled. The nerves have recovered all the way down his arm, but his hand is still a little tingly/numb. It has really been pretty amazing to see how the nerves regenerate from the shoulder down, but it has taken so long. Brian is planning to call his doctor and ask if he is ready for surgery yet.

I called our agency the other day to let them know that we were still waiting for the surgery and that we still aren't ready to see any files. I was excited to hear that we are actually #19 on the list, and the agency's social worker thinks that we could potentially be matched fairly quickly once we let them know that we are ready, especially since we probably won't be ready to view files until the late spring.

The other exciting news is that Amelia is now very excited about the possibility of a little brother. From the moment we put our paperwork in, I couldn't shake the feeling that we would be adopting a boy this time, but Amelia has been completely set on getting a little sister and would not even talk about the possibility of a brother. A few weeks ago I was feeling really frustrated with the whole adoption and was talking to Brian about how I felt like we should really be preparing for a boy, but that I also knew that Amelia only wanted a sister. Not two minutes later, out of the blue, Amelia came up to me and said, "Mom, I have been thinking. I think I really want a brother." I don't know what prompted that because she couldn't hear us talking, but I am so glad that she is excited too.

The funniest thing is that we have been talking for two years about girl's names and have not been able to find a single name that we all like and agree on. However, we can come up with a long list of boy's names that we all like. Right now the front runner is Owen, which we all love. I am a big believer in signs since we had so many signs while we were waiting for Amelia that really showed us that we were on the right path. I was on the phone with my friend telling her that we all really like the name Owen, and a few minutes later she said, "You aren't going to believe this, but J (her two-year old), just brought me a book to read called Owen's Blanket!" It was a book that my friend's mother had picked up for the kids and J had never asked to read it until that moment. What are the chances?

Otherwise, we all had a wonderful holiday season and are looking forward to 2009! One of my resolutions - update this blog more often!

2 comments:

Tricia said...

I love the name Owen. The book does sound like a good sign. I forgot, which agency are you with?

Tricia

Tricia said...

Hey, it's Tricia again. I started a blog and couldn't find your email address to let you know. It is http://thejoysofmommy.blogspot.com