Sunday, February 18, 2007

Xi Nian Kuai Le!


Happy Year of the Pig! I am excited to think that this may be the year that our mei-mei is born! Amelia was born in the Year of the Black Sheep, and I have read that Sheep and Pigs are supposed to be good matches and allies. Wouldn't it be great if the Chinese zodiac could help us out and minimize sibling rivalry?

Last night we celebrated the New Year at the local Chinese School's Chinese New Year event, which seems to just get better and better each year. The food was great, and most of it was authentic Chinese food, not the Americanized kind. They had steamed buns and really good fried tofu, so I was happy! We met up with several of the families from our travel group, as well as the many other families that we have gotten to know over the past several years, so it is just a huge social event for us.

This year we also had the excitement of Amelia's dance group performing on stage as part of the entertainment. They did so well! Amelia sneezed a couple of times on stage (and got some laughs for it), but it only added to the entertainment value as far as I am concerned.

After the girls performed they sat down on the floor in front of the stage, so I sat down on the floor as well (a little further back so she could be a "big" girl and hang out with her friends), so I could keep an eye on her since the front area gets very crowded after the performances with everyone coming down to get a red envelope. So many children were down there enjoying the show - some were dancing, some were playing quietly with friends. I have gotten to know so many of these kids over the past few years, and it is amazing to watch them grow. As I sat there and watched them all, I was just overwhelmed with how lucky I am to be Amelia's mom, how lucky I have been to get to know all of these other families with their own amazing children, and how very very lucky we are to be able to send our paperwork off to China and someday bring another one of these amazing children back home.

No comments: