Friday, February 23, 2007

Names, Part 2

(And let's all hope that I don't find myself a month before referrals posting "Names, Part 527") Anyway, our first choice for names has changed again, although at least this time it has changed back to a name we had already chosen once. Amelia is absolutely insisting that her sister's name is Elaina.. She isn't just saying that she likes the name. Whenever I mention another name she adamantly says, "No Mom, my sister is named Elaina". And honestly, we have to admit that we all really love the name. I love the nickname Lainey, and I think Elaina is a great grown-up name. I also like the link with Elaine of Arthurian legend, and "The Once and Future King", and "The Mists of Avalon" were two of my favorite books growing up. As for the distant cousin who named her daughter Alayna, the spelling is different (obviously), they live several states away from us, and we haven't seen them in over 10 years. I don't think it will really matter if the girls have similar names. So the name Elaina returns to the top of the list. I don't think we are ready for a final decision, simply because I have been such a name flip-flopper lately, but I do love the name, and it seems fitting and comfortable in a way that other names haven't.

Middle names are much easier. We like either May or Mei. Both have lots of meaning in our family. I like Mei because it means both "beautiful" and "younger sister" in Mandarin. We will also use her Chinese name, so the spelling of Mei/May will depend on her Chinese name as well.

No comments: