Tuesday, July 15, 2008

The saga continues....

So, it has been a long time since I've updated. I really need to start posting more often... About a month and a half ago, we contacted our wonderful agency and let them know that we are open to adopting either a boy or a girl. We realize that since most families are waiting for girls, this means we most likely will be matched with a little boy. We are absolutely thrilled with the possibility, and our agency director was very happy too and told us that things could go "quickly" for us. We decided to take a nice, relaxing family vacation to Bar Harbor, Maine and Acadia National Park. It was wonderful, but unfortunately on the very last day we were there, Brian dislocated his shoulder (on the top of South Bubble, no less). He has had problems with his shoulder dislocating since the injury first happened in high school (he was a gymnast), but this time he couldn't get his shoulder to go back in by himself. We ended up having the park ranger and some EMTs help him hike back down the mountain with his shoulder still dislocated. He spent the last evening of our vacation heavily medicated in the local hospital. His shoulder was dislocated for about three hours, and because of that, he now has some nerve damage that could take a few months to heal. Once the nerves are back to normal, he needs to schedule surgery to repair his shoulder and hopefully prevent it from dislocating again. The good news is that the surgeon expects him to make a full recovery. The bad news is that we asked our agency not to show us any files until 2009. Hopefully by then his surgery and physical therapy will be behind us.... We are trying to stay optimistic. We knew that this was a surgery that he would need to have at some point in time, and I know that someday I will look back and be grateful that we needed to wait so that the child that is right for our family can join us when the time is right.

In other sad news for our family, we lost our beloved cat Oliver to cancer. He was such a big part of our family for thirteen years. It is amazing to me how much one little being can fill a house while he is here, and leave it feeling so empty after he is gone. We miss him so much. Our cat Emmy has been very clingy since Oliver died, and she is alone in the house all day (and sometimes all evening), so we know that she misses him too. We know that we will never be able to replace Oliver, but we also knew that we would look for another cat to join our family in the near future. Last week Amelia and I stopped at the Humane Society to ask for an application and was told that we could only fill out an application once we found a cat that we were interested in. We decided to take a look around and visit all the cats, but I never expected to find a cat that I was interested in. Long story short, Amelia and I fell in love with a orange cat that the shelter had named Truxton. Brian went to meet him the next day at lunchtime, and he filled out an application for him on the spot. We were approved (and no one even needed to fingerprint us!), and I picked him up that afternoon. We renamed him Spencer, and he seems to be exactly what we all needed. He and Emmy still have to officially meet since Spence has been sequestered in our guest bedroom for the past few days. Today I took him to the vet for a checkup, and when Emmy saw him in the carrier, she ran and hid behind the curtains in our family room. I am sure that with time they will be friends.
Stay tuned... I will add pictures, but I can't seem to get that function to work right now.

No comments: